I had an interesting conversation with a young Northern Irish girl this weekend in Berlin. The young lady wants to study Law. So I asked her, “What is justice?” her reply, “Deterrence. When you stick people in jail, we shouldn’t be giving them amazing meals, we should mentally torture them.” Her idea of mental torture was doing things to people they hate, with the idea that they will never want to come back.
This reminded me of the movie we watched Friday, “V for Vendetta.” The main character’s idea of justice was that people should get what they deserve; even if that involves violence. I agree that justice is getting the punishment you deserve, but I don’t believe that by any means violence is okay.
Jesus is mercy and justice. I wholeheartedly believe that justice should only be carried out by God. God knows all hearts, therefore He can rightly judge. To bring justice to injustices, we should be seeking God’s guidance.
I wonder if people actually carry this out? Are there people in the world who truly 100% seek God out before addressing justice issues? I would really like to meet them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ha -- wow...that is crazy. i understand though that it's how so much of the world works. justice really means revenge. and punishment.
ReplyDeleteHow do you think we fit into God's plan for justice, though? Don't you think God knew, in asking us to be his hands and feet, that we are fallen creatures with a sin nature?
good thoughts. :)